Sunday, October 25, 2009

Week 4 # 8, 9 RSS & Newsreaders

I'm not exactly a news junkie, but my browser opens to the Anchorage Daily news site, my car radio is set on NPR, and I usually spend Friday evening with Washington Week in Review and Anchorage edition. I set up some RSS feeds and waited a few days to see what came up, and if/how I would use them. Several sites are blogs from people "in the biz" Alan Sitomer, Terri "the Goddess of YA Lit", the YA YA YAs, Guys Lit Wire, and the Spiral Notebook. I can already see that I'm underwater as far as keeping up, but realize that these are busy people and don't post something every day.

I'm also experimenting with a few non-library sites. I act as Career Resource advisor at school, and would like to figure out how to get scholarship notices. Maybe I can just pass along the blog sites to my users. I also subscribed to a travel site, which is interesting. Hopefully I'll use that info someday. Now the biggest challenge is to organize the interesting tidbits I find.

This is a wonderful way to focus on a topic or area. Focus here is the keyword, and is something that will sharpen as I gain familiarity with the tools. Lots of potential here for use in many ways.

1 comment:

  1. AH, when you figure out how to organize it all, let me know and I will get my life organized!!

    One of the things that I find about RSS is that as with many things is that if I don't go check it, the posts just keep on piling up (sort of like my professional journals) What I have done about the professional journals is to set aside 1/2 an hour 2X a week with Martina to commit to reading our professional materials. We have done it 2 weeks now and it is amazing that I have managed to clear up a number of journals and pass on a number of good articles and links to people.

    I guess I just need to do the same with my blogs - there are some amazing things to learn there.I am also now using Twitter - I have to admit that I don't actually post tweets - I guess I don't feel like I have that much to say, but by being really careful about who I follow I have gotten a lot of great hints, links, and direction to specific blog posts that are of a lot use to me professionally. it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete